Metal roofing and roof tiles are both popular options for any home, but there are some vital pros and cons that you need to know about before making a decision. Metal roofing is more affordable than most types of tile roofing. However, it also needs to be replaced every 15-20 years. Roof tiles are less expensive upfront since they last around 50 years on average, but they require a lot more maintenance in the short term.
Metal Roofing and Roofing Tiles, the Pros and Cons
When deciding whether to install a metal roof or roof tiles, there are several factors you need to consider. Metal roofs are more durable and require less maintenance than roof tiles, but they are also more expensive. Roof tiles are less expensive than metal roofs, but they are not as durable and require more maintenance. Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons of each type of roofing material to help you make the best decision for your home.
ALSO READ: Roofing Sheets Price Guide in the UK (2022)
- Metal roofs are more durable than roof tiles and can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance.
- Metal roofs are fire resistant and do not rot or mold like roof tiles can.
- Metal roofs reflect heat better than roof tiles, which can help keep your home cooler in the summer months.
- Metal roofs are low maintenance and do not require as much repairs as roof tiles over time.
- Metal roofs are more expensive than roof tiles, with an initial installation cost of $5-$10 per square foot.
- Metal roofs can be noisy during rainstorms or when hail hits them. It is important to insulate metal roofs properly to minimize noise levels inside the home.
- Metal roofs are not as aesthetically pleasing as roof tiles and may not be allowed in some homeowner’s associations.
- Roof tiles are less expensive than metal roofs, with an initial installation cost of $3-$5 per square foot.
- Roof tiles are available in a variety of colors and styles to match the look of your home.
- Roof tiles do not require as much maintenance as metal roofs and can last up to 30 years with proper care.
- Roof tiles are not as durable as metal roofs and can be damaged by hail or falling tree limbs. They are also more susceptible to rot and mold than metal roofs.
- Roof tiles can be noisy during rainstorms or when hail hits them. It is important to insulate roof tiles properly to minimize noise levels inside the home.
- Roof tiles are not fire resistant like metal roofs and can be damaged by wildfires.
Which is more durable and sustainable?
When it comes to durability and sustainability, metal roofing sheets are the clear winner. They are much more resistant to weather damage and wear and tear, meaning they will last longer and require less maintenance over time. Roof tiles, on the other hand, are more susceptible to damage from extreme weather conditions and can crack or break if not properly cared for. In terms of sustainability, metal roofing sheets can be recycled at the end of their lifespan, whereas roof tiles must be disposed of as waste.
What are the benefits of metal roofing?
There are many benefits to installing a metal roof, including the following:
- Metal roofs are very durable and can last for decades with proper care and maintenance.
- Metal roofs are fire resistant and can help protect your home in the event of a wildfire.
- Metal roofs are energy efficient and can help keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Metal roofs are environmentally friendly and can be recycled when they reach the end of their lifespan.
What are the benefits of Roof tiles?
There are many benefits that come with opting for roof tiles over metal roofing sheets. Roof tiles are more durable and long lasting, meaning you won’t have to replace them as often. They’re also better at insulating your home, which can lead to lower energy bills. And, because they reflect heat, they can help keep your home cooler in the summer months.
If you are concerned about the initial cost of a metal roof, you may be able to finance it through your homeowner’s insurance policy. Roof tiles are less expensive than metal roofs, but they are not as durable and require more maintenance
Should you choose metal roofing or roof tiles?
When it comes to choosing between metal roofing and roof tiles, there are a few things you need to take into account. The most important factor is the climate in your area. If you live in an area with severe weather conditions, then metal roofing is the better option. Metal roofing can withstand high winds and hail, while tiles can be damaged by these conditions. Metal roofing is also a good choice if you’re looking for a fire-resistant option.
Another thing to consider is the look of your home. If you want a traditional look, then tile is the way to go. Tile can also be painted to match your home’s exterior. Metal roofing has a more modern look and can be powder coated in any color you like.
Finally, you need to think about cost. Metal roofing is usually more expensive than tile, but it will last longer and require less maintenance over time. Tile is less expensive upfront, but it may need to be replaced more often.